Dr. Ilias Maragkos
|Dr. Ilias Maragkos|
MBChB, MSc., CCT(UK)
Subspecialty: Medical Retina, Vitreo-Retinal Surgery
- Graduated one of first in class with Honors from “Ivan Pavlov” Higher Medical Institute Plovdiv medical school, then proceeded to train for 8 years in Ophthalmology.
- Honored for contribution to the Army forces.
- Trained in ophthalmology in 2006 as a Resident in Komotini General hospital in Greece; distinguished for great surgical skills in cataract surgery and actively participated in regional teachings and Educational board meetings.
- Honored as the “Trainees Representative” for Educational, Medical and Ethical issues then joined Educational Board of the Hospital.
- Completed a Senior Clinical Fellowship at the Royal Free Hospital in: Vitreoretinal Surgery with Dr. Riaz Asaria (Consultant , Vitreoretinal Surgeon, Head of the Ophthalmic Research program in Royal Free Hospital) with high volume Vitreoretinal and Cataract complexed surgeries .
Dr. Ilias is a specialist included in the Specialist Register of the British General Medical Council from February 2014. Dr. Ilias has over 10 years experience in the Ophthalmology after which he joined the Imperial Healthcare team as a Consultant Ophthalmologist in 2016.
Held positions in London hospitals for the last 6 years.
- Highly skilled at performing sutureless Phacoemulsification and Vitrectomy procedures.
- He created the biggest real life database in Europe for treatment of retinal vein occlusions
He was an NHS ophthalmologist in London, United Kingdom at the Prestigious and well known Royal Free Hospital NHS FT one of the largest Trusts in the United Kingdom and The Whittington Health FT. Dr. Ilias worked in The Barnet Hospital(London , UK), University College hospital (London, UK), Edgware Community Hospital(London, UK) being part of a great team of doctors and special clinics. Participated in special clinics for glaucoma, paediatric ophthalmology, medical retinal diseases, anterior segment, neuro-ophthalmology, cataract surgery and vitreoretinal diseases.He became part of Oculoplastic Team for 6 months next to Mr Hugo Henderson (Consultant, Oculoplastic Surgeon) where he gained his experience in Eyelids Surgery.He was also a Specialty Doctor for 18 months in Medical Retina diseases clinics under the Retinal and Diabetic team in Royal Free Hospital NHS FT. All these years he was part of the Emergency team covering all 6 hospitals of the Trust out of hours gaining great experience in evaluation and treatment of urgent cases such as Retinal Detachment, Acute Glaucoma and Eye injuries.
He was actively contributing in teaching and examining young Doctors at the University College London being a member of the examiners and evaluating the training of young ophthalmologists through the Royal College of Ophthalmologists training module.
Dr. Ilias is fluent in three languages Greek (Native) , English, Bulgarian.
He was also, an investigator in 6 research projects for innovation and phase 3 on new medications for Age Related Degeneration, Retinal Vein Occlusions and Diabetic Retinopathy keeping him up to date with advanced treatments and medications.
He was a speaker in various congresses international and domestic from his early study days with last one in Nice, France where he presented the biggest real life data in Europe for treatment of the Retinal Vein Occlusion. Dr. Ilias was a speaker at the Congress of the European Society of Retinal Specialists, as well as at the Congress of the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons.